Friday, October 24, 2008

hAiTi

The best and most beautiful things in this world cannot be seen or even heard, but must be felt with the heart. - Helen Keller

I just spent an amazing week in Haiti and wanted to share a few things that I felt with my heart...
To start off; I have A huge amount of love for adoptive parents who love unconditionally, they take their little Haitian children that they meet for the first time without reservation, most sick with some sort of parasite inflicted upon them by the conditions of the poorest country in the Western Hemisphere! I leave the country in love with the adoptive parents and their children and feel it a privilege to share in their adoptive journey's. I have Gratitude! gratitude for more things than I can name, but here are just a few; A sweet man named Harry Mardy, who worked tirelessly to arrange our trip, provide us with vehicles and drivers and be our translator; Nannies at orphanages that work hard to love and care for the children in trusted in their care, with little compensation and sometimes going without food themselves so that the children can be fed; Orphanage directors who take children off the streets, sometimes when they absolutely do not have the room, money or goods to care for them, but they cannot bear to hear of another child dying on the streets; Volunteers who go to places like Haiti, using their own funds, dedicating their own time, leaving families behind, sitting in hot orphanages, (or on the ground in the parking lot of an LDS church) feeding and playing with children without any regard for the conditions in which they find themselves! Gratitude for people willing to raise money for food for the orphanages and/or so that children in a program called Haitian Roots can go to school; I feel grateful for the opportunity to be part of such organizations and to have gone to Haiti to be with all of the these children, parents and volunteers. I felt overwhelmed at the feeling of the Spirit when attending church in Petionville Haiti, walking into the chapel having it so full there was hardly room for us to sit! There are no words to describe the feeling in my heart at hearing the hymns sung so loud, a literal praise to the Lord, in French! (and no accompaniment) Knowing and feeling that we are ALL God's children where ever we may live in this world!
I left the country of Haiti a better person, with so much love in my heart, with so much gratitude for those that touched my life, and for the eternal friendships made along the way. And for the miracles that I was privileged to witness!

10 comments:

Perla said...

your blog is absolutely beautiful! i love the quotes. the one under your and darren's pic is great! :) your write beautifully and i'm glad you are capturing these memories and are sharing them! hurrah for the new blogger!!!

Heather said...

Amen, amen. Way to sum up exactly how I feel! I am so glad to have met you, though I already felt like I had known you forever...Heather

mlg said...

What a great blog and inspiration for me I will be a regular checking in and the pictures of your kids are amazing what a beautiful family you have!

Bruce / Levauna said...

We are right along side Shanna...we can't believe that you turned out to be quite the computer blog whiz kid! It certainly is a beautiful piece of work. We are so proud of you and the work that you do. The music, pictures and comments give us all a chance to feel the spirit of the purpose. Thank you for your service to all!

Pete and Mare said...

You're such an true inspiration to me. I'm so grateful for the amazing love that you've continued to share with me for the people and especially the sweet children of Haiti. We've gained such deep love for our cherie Haiti--apart of us forever. What a blessing that you were the one who lead us to Abigaille, Djoe and Jordan Betuel, our three beautiful Haitian children. Thank you for all your hard work in helping us to bring them home from Haiti. You helped start us on our amazing journey, one that will last forever. Our trip was so special and I'm counting the days until our next one. ;) Thank you! I love you dearly!

R AND R AND Z said...

what a great post. Abd a great blog. I will follow if that is ok

Welcome! said...

Chareyl your blog is great! Of course I am bawling after reading your Haiti post. Thanks for sharing this with me.

Nichole said...

I love it Chareyl. Yo have done a great job!!

Haiti was amazing and I have to agree 2 of the most amazing people who I leave their presense inspired by are Guesno and Harry.

I find it intersteing that everytime I leave Haiti I feel more blessed and more loved and more hopeful than any other time in my life.

I truly enjoyed my time spent with you in our Motel talking about life. Thanks for you support and friendship.

big_smartmouth said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
big_smartmouth said...

wow, amazing! the work you're doing can't be put into words. good on ya', chareyl. i'm proud of you. illya and i have always said that adoption is something we not only want to do, but will do. once we get to that point when we are ready for that responsibility, we'll be knocking down your door for some help. anyway, keep up the good work!